Saturday, July 14, 2018

Reddit - a portmanteau of read and it

While I am doing my first assignment, I found a well-written article about Reddit. It's easy to understand! You will learn what Reddit is, how Reddit works, and how Reddit makes money!

OK. I will post the first part here...So, what is Reddit?

What is Reddit?

Reddit is a social discussion forum, a news aggregation site, and an online content rating platform which gained popularity in 2008. The company was founded by Steve Huffman and Alexis Ohanian in 2005 who were roommates from the University of Virginia with majors in Computer science and commerce respectively. Reddit became a subsidiary of Advance Publications; a US-based Media Company, in September 2011. A year later, Reddit became an independent organization, with Advance as its largest shareholder.
According to the founders, Reddit is a source of everything that’s new and popular on the web. It’s a community of millions of other category specific communities where people post, discuss and vote on basically everything that’s interesting in the world.
The name Reddit is a portmanteau of read and it which was chosen to signify the phrase ‘I already read it on Reddit’, which is actually the truth as Reddit acts as the gateway of interesting stuff to the internet.

Source:  How Does Reddit Make Money? Reddit Business Model  ( · POSTED ON OCT 7, 2017, Freedough.com)

6 comments:

  1. An interesting read. I used a subreddit as one of my communities for the first assessment. I wish I had read this first ! :)

    In particular, I think the Reddit Gold is a very novel way of raising revenue. It will be interesting to see how Web 2.0 companies continue to innovate ways in which to turn large users bases into profit without advertising or selling user-data.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Yes. I think the Reddit Gold is really a smart idea. With only a little amount of money for a cup of coffee, we can enjoy our "Ads-free plus more" community!

      Delete
  2. Jotting some notes here as I read through the article...
    Fourth most visited website in the US
    Founders and users believe that it is in essence the headwaters of virality
    The "mask of anonymity" facilitates real talk, in contrast to the perfect lives on Facebook or Instagram
    Reddit gifts is like a massive Secret Santa!

    Everything I read makes me feel like I am natural fit for the community. Going to give it another go. Thanks, Hajeen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that you like it! I also think this really fits to me. :-) When I did not know Reddit, I felt very negative about it. However, after I did my first assignment with one of the Subreddits, I just loved it!

      Delete
  3. A great read! What do you think about the issue of "distributed wisdom" on Reddit? Although there is a lot of data, information and knowledge on Reddit, that is provided by a large group of people, the way it is distributed leaves you wondering will it ever reach the person or persons who are looking for it? What do you think? Does the overflow of content sometimes make it hard for the main message to get above the noise and find like-minded collective intelligence?

    ReplyDelete