Thursday, July 12, 2018

Diigo - Social bookmarking tool



I got to know Diigo first in 2016 when one of the doctoral students in our program presented on her research. She used  Diigo annotation function in her language class for reading. I was very curious about how it would work and went to the site but did not try it right away.

Then, last year I encountered Diigo again in my Internet Inquiry class. We posted some links and comments for a trial and I thought it was the advanced version of a bookmark which is embedded in every browser. Now that I meet this tool again on my web 2.0 class, I can see more utilities. It would be a great tool for my research and for collaborative knowledge sharing and discussion.


As my classmates are concerned, we have many issues to solve before we actively utilize this type of social media in our K-12 class. Parents do not want their children to have social media account and to access such websites because children can be easily distracted and deviated from what they are supposed to do in the class. Furthermore, it is too difficult for a teacher to monitor all the students. With all those possible issues, I believe we need to incorporate web 2.0 tools more actively for our classroom activities. Instead, we need more literacy education in our school including privacy, netizenship, intellectual property, and so on.

There's an old Korean proverb "We can't make soybean paste if we are afraid of worms.".
It means if we are afraid of something, we can't make anything out of it. The human being is smart. We've always found a good solution to any problem. :-)



4 comments:

  1. We use it in EME2040, too.

    Someone else mentioned wanting to do some collaborative highlighting on our class articles. What do you think? Should I set it up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I haven't used annotation function yet. Maybe we can try this function for our class articles from the next week.

      Delete
  2. For me as a parent, I think that I can definitely get behind diigo despite the "worms" that might be lurking out there! I have used it only a few times, but I think that it is great for highlighting resources and keeping track of quotes and other material that will need to be annotated in a research paper or report. I can see a formative assignment being to highlight, comment, and then share a resource with group members to review and accept as a source for a group project/presentation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is a great tool for language learning, too. :-) Glad that you can see some utilities in Diigo!

      Delete